Five years ago today – on February 13, 2014 – the Faris D. Virani Ewing Sarcoma Center at Texas Children’s Cancer Center was established, with initial seed funding from the piggy bank of Faris D. himself. Guided by the same values embodied by Faris – bold and original thinking, an indomitable spirit, and an enterprising attitude – and under the steadfast leadership of Dr. Jason Yustein, the team at the FDV Center has made great strides in research and treatment of Ewing sarcoma, and other childhood cancers.
Here are 5 highlights from the past 5 years:
1. Dr. Yustein co-authored the chapter on Ewing sarcoma in the definitive textbook for pediatric medicine.
2. Two International Symposia hosted at the Center (FDV Ewing Sarcoma International Symposium 2015, 2017).
3. Three undergraduate research interns have participated in the FDV Center Summer Internship Program.
4. Two clinical trials and two major pharmaceutical interactions (with Oncternal and Salarius).
5. Five recent papers and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
And a bonus highlight:
FIFTY families (from 6 different countries) counseled via the Center’s 24/7 Ewing sarcoma access line: 1-844-EWINGS1
Today, we celebrate the work of the team at the FDV Center; while the road ahead may appear daunting and long, with much yet to be done, we know that the Center will continue to lead the way with work that is transformative, trailblazing, and that ultimately results in better treatments, outcomes, and cures for children with cancer.